A Cervicogenic headache is a headache that is occurring due to an issue with one or more of your neck joints. Hence treating your neck will help alleviate your headache.
What is a Cervicogenic Headache?
Cervicogenic Headache Symptoms
There are many signs that will help you identify a Cervicogenic headache, but the main symptoms are that your headache becomes worse when you move your neck or with certain postures. Other symptoms include:
Some Symptoms That Are Shared Between A Migraine And A Cervigonenic Headache Can Include:
- Feel like throwing up
- Blurry eyesight
- Loud noise can cause nausea
- Shoulder or arm pain
Cervicogenic Headache Treatment
f you have a Cervicogenic headache, there are different treatment techniques you can use to suppress the pain or completely relieve yourself of the suffering:
This treatment involves remedial massage, electrotherapy, heat therapy, joint mobilisations, spinal adjustments, cupping, posture correction and exercises to stretch and strengthen specific muscle groups.
Ibuprofen or aspirin are medications that help to ease off the pain. Other medications include muscle relaxers and other muscle pain relievers.
Other options of Cervicogenic headache treatment include pain relieving techniques like acupuncture and yoga.
Tips And Tricks For Managing Daily Activities
- Maintain good posture while sitting at a desk or while driving. Always remember to keep your ears above your shoulders and to keep all screens (desktop monitor or phones) at eye level.
- Make sure you have a comfortable mattress and pillow. We recommend using an ergonomically contoured pillow.
- Your neck is designed to rotate, bend from side to side and forward or backwards. Make sure to stretch your neck regularly to prevent the onset of Cervicogenic headaches. Book in with our Physiotherapists or Chiropractors to find out which stretches you specifically need to do!
- Joint Manipulation
- Manual Therapy
- Posture Correction
- Remedial Massage
- Dry Needling
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Heat Therapy