500g mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150g cooked chickpeas
40g walnuts, crushed in food processor
25g basil leaves, chopped.
1 heaped teaspoon ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 230c. Scatter mushrooms over two baking trays and bake for about 30 mins. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Mix ground flaxseed with enough water to cover and set aside and allow to thicken.
- Sauté onions over medium heat until soft, add garlic and cook for about 15 minutes. Add to mushrooms along with walnuts, thickened flaxseed and chopped basil. Briefly mix together in a food processor.
- Return mixture to bowl and add salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into four large patties and wrap each in glad wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to cook, heat a thin layer of oil over medium heat in a heavy frying pan and cook burgers until brown.
Serve as you like, recommended with pita bread, bean sprouts, roasted red peppers and salad.