Top 5 Exercises to Help You Stand Longer in Taraweeh Prayers
We often hear our clients say they are unable to complete their Taraweeh prayers due to lower back pain OR they avoid going to the mosque to pray because they are unable to last!
We understand how annoying this could be for you. Not only is it a painful experience, but the struggle to stay focused/maintain khushoo in prayer due to pain can be frustrating.
The Team at Masnad Health Clinic believe this Ramadan should be your best Ramadan and your lower back pain should not limit you. In the month of Ramadan we help many people solve their back, hip, knee or ankle pain and you’re definitely not alone with this problem.
Our team of expert Physiotherapists and Chiropractors suggest you follow these 5 easy exercises to relieve your lower back pain and to help you stay focused in your Taraweeh prayers! These stretches are easy to complete. They can be done anywhere, but are best done on a thick carpet surface or yoga mat and they will take you less than 10 minutes to complete.
Exercise Number 1: Hamstring stretch
- Sit on the floor with one leg stretched out straight.
- Bend the other leg at the knee and position the sole of the foot against your opposite inner thigh
- Extend both your arms and reach forward for your toes over your straight leg by bending at the waist as far forward as possible. Make sure you don’t bend with your lower back
- You should feel a stretch in the back of your thigh (that’s your hamstring muscle stretching there)
- Hold this position for 60 seconds and breathe
- Repeat this process with your other leg
Exercise Number 2: Gluteal Stretch
- Begin by lying flat on your back
- Bing your right leg over your left knee and bend your left knee towards your chest
- Place both hands on the front of your left knee with your right hand passing underneath your right knee
- Pull your left knee towards your chest until you feel a strong stretch in your right buttock (gluteal muscles)
- Hold this position for 60 seconds
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side
Exercise Number 3: McKenzie Extensions
- Begin by lying on your stomach
- Gently push your upper body up (as far as you comfortably can) through your arms on either side without lifting your waist off the floor
- Hold this position up for 2 seconds and then slowly return to the starting position
- Repeat this exercise for 10 repetitions with a 2 second hold on each one
*Note this exercise is designed to reduce a disc bulge that may be pinching on a nerve and causing leg pain. However it must be performed at the right time to prevent it from aggravating your symptoms. If you have pain radiating down your legs it is best to consult with one of our Physiotherapists or Chiropractors prior to completing this exercise.
Exercise Number 4: Knee to Chest Stretch
- Begin by lying on your back on a yoga mat or other soft surface
- Gently pull one knee towards your chest with the help of your arms and hold that position for 10 seconds
- Repeat on the opposite side for another 10 seconds
- Repeat this process 3 times for each leg (3 sets of 10 second holds for each leg)
Exercise Number 5: Side to Side Knees
- Begin by lying flat on your back with your knees bent and touching each other
- Gently bring your knees to one side without lifting your waist off the floor. You should feel a gentle stretch in your lower back
- Repeat this movement to the other side
- Complete 15 repetitions on each side
We recommend performing these exercises after each prayer or at least twice a day. Being consistent with these exercises will promote better movement in your muscles and joints hence reducing stiffness and pain.
Disclaimer: Please note these exercises are designed for people with non- specific/generalised lower back pain. If your symptoms are severe or have pain radiating down your legs, you should consult with one of our Physiotherapists or Chiropractors prior to completing these exercises.
Thanks for reading, we hope these exercises help you in increasing your standing times in Taraweeh and Tahajjud/Night prayers this Ramadan.
Feel free to call us on (02) 9793 8840 or BOOK ONLINE with one of our Physiotherapists or Chiropractors to treat your lower back pain.